Re: Brit/US colon-vs-semicolon

Subject: Re: Brit/US colon-vs-semicolon
From: David -dot- SOMERS -at- ST -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 13:36:04 +0100

It should be a colon.

The only major punctuation change that occurs when crossing the pond
is the placement of commas and periods next to quote marks... see
Chicago Manual Of Style, 14 Edition, section 5.13.

Greetings (from sunny france),

David
david -dot- somers -at- st -dot- com
(usual disclaimer - speaking for myself, not ST.)

Subject: Brit/US colon-vs-semicolon
Author: TECHWR-L (TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU) at internet
Date: 10/31/96 11:15

I should know the answer to this question myself as I was born and grew up
in the U.S. and I now live in the U.K., but here goes.

In standard American English (whatever that is, but that's another debate),
colons are used to set off lists.

This tutorial will cover these points:
a. blah blah etc.

However, many of my colleagues in Yorkshire, England seem to use a
semi-colon for this purpose.

This tutorial will cover these points;
a. blah blah

Is this "correct"? Or should they be using a colon (as I think they should).

Are there any other major/important puntuaction rules which change when they
cross the Pond?

Thanks,
John

--
John Trollope - John -dot- Trollope -at- Team17 -dot- com