Brit/US colon-vs-semicolon

Subject: Brit/US colon-vs-semicolon
From: John Trollope <John -dot- Trollope -at- TEAM17 -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 11:15:02 +0000

I should know the answer to this question myself as I was born and grew up
in the U.S. and I now live in the U.K., but here goes.

In standard American English (whatever that is, but that's another debate),
colons are used to set off lists.

This tutorial will cover these points:
a. blah blah etc.

However, many of my colleagues in Yorkshire, England seem to use a
semi-colon for this purpose.

This tutorial will cover these points;
a. blah blah

Is this "correct"? Or should they be using a colon (as I think they should).

Are there any other major/important puntuaction rules which change when they
cross the Pond?

Thanks,
John

--
John Trollope - John -dot- Trollope -at- Team17 -dot- com \ "Un dictionnaire,
French translator and product localiser \ c'est tout l'univers