Font choices

Subject: Font choices
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 10:26:54 -0500

Danna Cardwell wondered about the suitability of 11-point
Garamond for text. Danna, I like Garamond as a body text
font, but it's way too thin and fussy for online use (i.e.,
as PDF), particularly at SVGA and higher resolutions. If
you're stuck on Garamond, I'd recommend bumping up your
point size to at least 12 points and using relatively loose
word spacing... that way, at least the serifs don't
disappear.

If you're moving to PDF, there are two good options,
depending on your goal:
- the document is intended solely for on-screen display:
redesign it to fit that medium, and switch fonts (probably
to a sans serif, since these are usually more legible on
computer screens);
- you expect users to print out their own copies and not
read the docs online: Garamond should work fine.
Personally, I don't like this approach and suspect many of
your clients won't like it either.