Re: Win95 Bitmaps & Dithering

Subject: Re: Win95 Bitmaps & Dithering
From: Chris Hulin <chrish -at- CTL -dot- COM -dot- CY>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 09:44:18 +0200

At 01:37 PM 21/10/1996 GMT, Henning Bertram wrote:
<SNIP>
>And it it does give us a lot of problems. Under a lot of
>circumstances, this pattern will cause not-very-nice dithering in the
>printed matter (like, you kno,w huge areas with a checkered pattern).
<SNIP>
We found similar moire problems printing slider bars whose shade is made up
of a checker-board pattern of white (byte value 255 decimal) and light grey
(byte value 192 decimal). We found that certain reductions happen to come
out right on particular laser printers - once we found the percentage it
worked consistently.

Or why not write a program to change the offending pairs of bytes to a
smooth shade - it should be easy if your bitmap file is 8 bit and
uncompressed, and a bit of detective work will make the file header give up
its secrets.... or maybe I have been a lone tech writer for too long here in
the Cyprus sun...
Chris Hulin Tel: + 357 2 376671
Head of Documentation Fax: + 357 2 377412
Card Tech Limited chrish -at- ctl -dot- com -dot- cy
P.O. Box 552
Nicosia, Cyprus