Re: To Laugh or Cry?

Subject: Re: To Laugh or Cry?
From: David Jones <dvjones -at- KSBE -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 10:51:14 +0000

According to _Writing Popular Fiction_ by Dean Koontz (back before he
was cranking out glossy cover horror tomes), a competent writer
should be able to crank out a romance novel in 1-2 weeks. At the rate
they are published, I think that's the typical writing time.

Unfortunately for my checking account, I can't even read the first
paragraph of a romance without falling asleep ... <G>

On 21 Oct 96 at 6:38, Robert Plamondon wrote:

> Dan Wise writes:

> >A quick punch of the little solar-powered number box tells me we
> >can expect to earn a whopping $2500 for five weeks work. Sounds
> >simple. All you have to do is do the research and crank out
> >1428.5714 finished, acceptable, usable words per day, seven days a
> >week.

> Hey, that's top dollar in some markets! If you were to write, say,
> Harlequin Romances for a living, you'd probably get around $3000
> flat-rate per book, and there are plenty of markets that go even
> lower than that.

> Tech Pubs pays top dollar -- and is steady money -- compared to the
> rest of the writing world. (If you want to emulate the chance for
> riches that fiction writers have, spend a few bucks on the lottery
> once in a while.)

David Jones, Technical Writer
dvjones -at- ksbe -dot- edu

Thought for the day:
A penny saved is ridiculous.

DISCLAIMER:
The views described herein are the views of the author, and
do not represent the views or opinions of Kamehameha Schools
Bishop Estate, nor is there any approval or authorization of
this material, express or implied, by the Kamehameha Schools
Bishop Estate. If you suspect that any of the material in
this message or attachments thereto is in violation of a
copyright, please notify the Webmaster immediately by e-mail
at "Webmaster -at- ksbe -dot- edu".