Re[2]: To Laugh or Cry?

Subject: Re[2]: To Laugh or Cry?
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 09:46:00 -0600

Tech Pubs pays top dollar -- and is steady money -- compared to the
rest of the writing world. (If you want to emulate the chance for
riches that fiction writers have, spend a few bucks on the lottery
once in a while.)

Let me toss an "Amen" onto that thought. I was once offered the chance to
write some "Choose your own adventure"-style books, at the grand rate of a
flat $2000 each.

I a read a statistic several years back that claimed there were less than
400 fiction writers worldwide who made a full-time living from their
writing; we've got more full-time tech writers than that just on techwr-l
alone. Five cents a word seems paltry, perhaps, but to a fiction writer
it's the going rate.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224