Re: Ageism

Subject: Re: Ageism
From: Newton Vasconcellos <mendv -at- AX -dot- APC -dot- ORG>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 10:18:51 -0200

My intent was certainly *not* to imply that people over 45 are in any
>way less smart or less capable than those under 45.

>Elna Tymes

Just my personal experience to add spice to the argument:

In my 40s (the 70s), I implemented OM techniques in business companies.
Mostly machine-driven payrolls, accounting systems, et caterna. When I felt
the hot breath of computers breathing down my neck, I left the field rather
than learn how to program the beasts.

Now after breaking the 60 barrier, I am beginning plans to publish a
technical book in CD. It will have some 1.100 pages and over 800 drawings
and maps. I am not exactly versed in colors (my clothes are normally an
example of this; they never match). But colors are needed and color it is
that I must cope with.

Personally, I am eager to face the challenge. If you don't grow
intellectually, you will certainly shrink as a person. Medical authorities
have stated that if you don't exercise the brain cells, you lose the ability
to use them effectively. They also add that physical exercise is important,
too, for this purpose.

A hawaian cardiologist once said that if you run a marathon under four
hours, heart problems will pass you by. I have done that, and also written a
book and planted a tree. Seems I am covered on all sides...

Newton D. Vasconcellos
mendv -at- ax -dot- apc -dot- org
Rio de Janeiro