Re: Translation into Arabic

Subject: Re: Translation into Arabic
From: Garret Romaine <GRomaine -at- MSMAIL -dot- RADISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 14:35:00 PDT

This just came in and made me think...

>I am interested in hearing about your experiences with translating
technical
>materials from English into Arabic. Can any of you give recommendations of
>firms who do Arabic translation and who can also advise about the culture
of
>our potential readers? Please respond to me directly at the email address
>below. If there is interest, I will post the responses (or a summary) back
>the list.
>Norma Shulman
>email to norma_shulman -at- bose -dot- com

Here's what popped into my head; honk if you've seen this ad:

Major Middle Eastern bank seeks two business procedure writers and/or
technical writers, experienced. Male only (positions for women are
filled locally). Prefer: banking experience, computer software package
implementation experience, banking software experience (Systematics,
Visual Banker, Atlas), ATM/POS. Saudi Arabian experience and Arabic
language are advantages. Write business procedures and user
documentation. Production platform: PC/LAN, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
Circumstances: salary, housing (furnished apartment in Western
compound), medical coverage, 30 days vacation and one round-trip air
ticket home per year, one year contract renewable, end of contract
bonus, transportation allowance, total compensation tax-free to $70K
under current US law.
Contact: <snip>

Notice that women are not accepted from foreign soil; they're hired locally
(as in, probably not hired at all).

Garret Romaine
gromaine -at- radisys -dot- com