Re: Radio Button

Subject: Re: Radio Button
From: Kim Keegan <keegan -at- EXPLORERS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 11:33:53 -0700

On the radio button discussion...

I would guess that some of the confusion comes with our concept of a "button."
Wasn't this debated recently (or was it button vs. icon)?

When I think of a "button", I am used to the "appearance" of the button being
"depressed" when I click on it. To me, the **visual** properties of a radio button
more closely resemble a check box than other GUI buttons.

That's just my opinion. But I do use the term "radio button" as needed, knowing that
I will have to provide a definition with graphic example in most cases.

I recently helped edit a client's document that covered an installation/setup process
in which the interface used radio buttons on several screens. He did not know the
proper term and described an "on" radio button as "the circle with a black bullet in
it". I politely informed him of the correct terminology, and joked that some of his
readers, when presented with "bullet", may not know that it refers to a typographical
element!!

--
Kim Keegan | keegan -at- explorers -dot- com
http://www2.explorers.com/~keegan/