Re: Re[2]: Techie First or Writer? -Reply

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Techie First or Writer? -Reply
From: David Jones <dvjones -at- KSBE -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 10:26:53 +0000

On 11 Oct 96 at 9:53, Mike Sechelski wrote:
> CEOs and corporate management don't necessarily
> understand every facet of the developement
> process, yet engineers and programmers as a
> whole don't get strapped with ridiculous
> schedules, budgets, and expectations (well
> maybe some do.) The difference is that

Most engineers and programmers I've talked with are always
complaining about ridiculous schedules, tight budgets, unreasonable
expectations, etc. Perhaps we have to deal with those problems
because senior management handed them to the engineers and
programmers in the first place ...

To quote from a Dilbert strip (9/17/95, I think):
Marketing Person: "With my guidance, this will become the premier
data backup software!"
Wally: "Bear in mind that we said it would take six months to write
it."
Dilbert: "You only gave us a month."
Marketing Person: "We'll fix the bugs in the next release."

Sounds like it's time to visit the Dilbert Zone again, or reread _The
Mythical Man-Month_.

David Jones, Technical Writer
dvjones -at- ksbe -dot- edu

DISCLAIMER:
The views described herein are the views of the author, and
do not represent the views or opinions of Kamehameha Schools
Bishop Estate, nor is there any approval or authorization of
this material, express or implied, by the Kamehameha Schools
Bishop Estate. If you suspect that any of the material in
this message or attachments thereto is in violation of a
copyright, please notify the Webmaster immediately by e-mail
at "Webmaster -at- ksbe -dot- edu".

Thought for the day:
Concerto (n): a fight between a piano and a pianist.