Re[2]: Techie First or Writer? -Reply

Subject: Re[2]: Techie First or Writer? -Reply
From: Mike Sechelski <msechelski -at- HOU -dot- SPERRY-SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 09:53:00 -0500

David Jones wrote...

<I suggest that we as Tech Comm people need to
<spend time and take opportunities to educate
<our coworkers and managers about what Tech Comm
<really is, its value to them and the business
<as a whole, and how they can work with us to
<make everything go more smoothly.

Yes but how much time will it take (years?)
CEOs and corporate management don't necessarily
understand every facet of the developement
process, yet engineers and programmers as a
whole don't get strapped with ridiculous
schedules, budgets, and expectations (well
maybe some do.) The difference is that
engineers/programmers/etc are "producers"
whereas tech comm is an "add-on service"
that doesn't really produce anything, takes
up office space and burns electricity to
produce those d___ manuals that nobody uses
anyway. I think that's the perception in
the eyes of a lot of upper management.

Michael Sechelski
msechelski -at- hou -dot- sperry-sun -dot- com