Re: Job Hopping Revisited

Subject: Re: Job Hopping Revisited
From: David Somers <David -dot- SOMERS -at- ST -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 09:03:20 +0200

I remember once that after an interview I was offered a job... I told
them I'd get back to them after my legel advisor had checked through
the employment contract. They were a bit shocked the next week when I
wrote back and handed them his comments and asked to have several
points of the contract changed (mainly because some of the clauses
were either downright stupid or illegal). Nevertheless, they agreed,
and I was one of the few people working in the place that had a
'sensible' employment contract.

As you say, employers aren't doing us a favor. They're usually looking
for a body to fill a position and cost them as little as possible
whilst working them as hard as they can to meet impossible deadlines.
(Is that me being cynical or realistic?)

Later,

David Somers

p.s. a good question to ask is what is the turnover rate for the
position that you're appplying for. It usually provides a good
indication of how quickly people realize they're working in a
hell-hole and escape.

david -dot- somers -at- st -dot- com
(Usual disclaimer - speaking for myself and not ST)

Author: TECHWR-L (TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU) at internet
Date: 10/10/96 21:33

alsacien -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il (Moshe) wrote:

>I know that whenever I get the icy stare and hear the question about
>"instability" from an employer, I know that I'm about to enter a
>concentration camp and I run.

Thanks! This needed to be said. It's difficult when we're looking
for a job to remember that employers aren't doing us a favor
by "giving" us a job. It's a business relationship, buy and sell,
and we must interview employers just as they interview us.