Re: Senior Writer Job Requirements

Subject: Re: Senior Writer Job Requirements
From: Elna Tymes <Etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 17:20:36 -0700

Bob Handlin/US/3Com wrote:

> It's been my experience that you rarely see an ad that asks for more than 5+
> years experience, regardless of the complexity of the task. It gives the
> employer the possibility of picking up somebody smart on the cheap.

Employers ask for all sorts of unrealistic qualifications. One of the
better ones I saw recently was someone looking for a web designer with
5+ years of HTML experience. <head whipping around> Excuse me? Does
everyone else on this list understand why that's ridiculous?

We're finding that an employer's expectations about what one has learned
in 3+ years vs. 5+ years vary greatly, and that when they quote a figure
like that it's because they're really after someone who isn't just a
real beginner. Years and years of experience in technical writing don't
necessarily make you a better writer - but the fact that you've been
there does give you better war stories. <g>

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems