Estimating Windows Help

Subject: Estimating Windows Help
From: Leslie McKendry-Smith <McKendrySmith -at- MBNET -dot- MB -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 14:22:24 -0500

Hi everyone! I need some advice.

I recently delivered an estimate to convert an existing manual to Windows
Help and the client thinks I'm crazy. He maintains that my estimate is 10
times higher than other estimates and wonders what I am doing differently.

My quote is based on one idea per topic. From talking to the client, I
understand that the other quotes are based on one topic per manual heading.
Even if I quoted that way, I still wouldn't be anywhere near one tenth of my
original estimate. I need a reality check!

What figure do you use to estimate the effort to convert a printed manual to
Windows Help. I'm looking for a figure in hours or minutes per topic?

If you reply directly to me I will summarize the posts and re-post to the list.

Thanks,

Leslie McKendry-Smith
mckendry -at- mbnet -dot- mb -dot- ca