Re: Job-Hopping to increase pay

Subject: Re: Job-Hopping to increase pay
From: David Jones <dvjones -at- KSBE -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 11:32:55 +0000

In the old days (all you allergic to nostalgic people may press
delete now!), "job hopping" was seen as a sign of some personal
problem -- the person was hard to get along with, impossible to work
with, engaged in unsavory personal habits/hygiene, suffered some
sort of emotional or mental disorder, consumed excess quantities of
addictive substances, etc, etc. (Gee, sounds like some programmers
I've worked with ... <G>)

In the absence of any real ability to determine such "problems" prior
to hiring, job hopping could be taken as a general indicator.

Another way it could be taken was as a commitment to the self at the
expense of the employers. IOW, you agree to work somewhere, then jump
ship for another job (for whatever reason) -- it calls into question
the hopper's ability to keep commitments.

I think that job hopping (especially in the IS industry) is much more
favorably regarded than it was then. I think it is *not* well
regarded in other industries, such as banking.

FWIW, JFOA, YMMV, HAND!

On 3 Oct 96 at 22:20, Chris Tonjes wrote:
> Why is this behavior [job hopping] unacceptable? Most programmers do exactly the same
> thing. Indeed, many companies encourage this sort of thing by offering
> recruits big salaries and signing bonuses.

David Jones, Technical Writer
David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- Datahub -dot- com

DISCLAIMER:
The views described herein are the views of the author, and
do not represent the views or opinions of Kamehameha Schools
Bishop Estate, nor is there any approval or authorization of
this material, express or implied, by the Kamehameha Schools
Bishop Estate. If you suspect that any of the material in
this message or attachments thereto is in violation of a
copyright, please notify the Webmaster immediately by e-mail
at "Webmaster -at- ksbe -dot- edu".