Re: Tech writers' salaries

Subject: Re: Tech writers' salaries
From: Dianne Walsh <ldwalsh -at- VOICENET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 19:56:11 -0400

>Sharona Nelson wrote:
>>I can tell you that for senior writers in the Boston area, most places
>>seem to be paying over 50K. How much over depends on a lot of factors.
>--snip--

>Dave Demyan wrote:
><snip>
>PS: I can verify that rates are escalating on the East Coast. I
>recruit and place contract technical writers in New Jersey and Metro
>New York. Rates are high here for good writers.

>Dave.

Maybe in NY and NJ, Dave, but they're not so great here in PA. I'm in the
Phila. suburban area, I have 15+ years of experience, and my salary is
ridiculously low. Every tech writer I know has the same story to tell.
Hardly one of us is being paid what we're worth. Contractors can sometimes
make out well--if they don't mind not having health insurance, vacation,
sick days, etc. I've gone out on interviews and have actually been offered a
good deal less than what I'm currently making. This 'lowballing' on salary
seems to be quite common in this area, especially with software and other
computer-related companies. It's an old story, but the attitude toward tech
writers in this area is that your just a half-step up from secretary. Maybe
not even a half-step.

I can only drool over those CA salary figures and at least be glad someone
is getting decent pay.

Dianne
Dianne Walsh E-Mail: ldwalsh -at- voicenet -dot- com
Sr. Technical Writer or: ldw -at- locke -dot- ccil -dot- org
MEDecision Inc. URL: http://www.voicenet.com/~ldwalsh

If things improve with age, I'm nearly perfect.