Re: # sign

Subject: Re: # sign
From: Tracy Boyington <trlyboyi -at- GENESIS -dot- ODVTE -dot- STATE -dot- OK -dot- US>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 13:41:10 +0000

> I seem to remember that British typewriters have ú (the pound
> sign) as shift-3. Maybe that's how the American shift-3 (#)
> got its name. Britishers call it the "hash" sign, as has been
> mentioned (don't know why).

It's called the pound sign because in some circumstances it is used
as an abbreviation for the word pound (as in weight).

> BTW, in Hebrew, # is often referred to as "sulamit", meaning
> "little ladder." Cute, no?

I like it! Do you think the members of this list could slowly sneak
it into the mainstream? ("Please press sulamit to hear you menu
options again").

Tracy

Tracy Boyington trlyboyi -at- genesis -dot- odvte -dot- state -dot- ok -dot- us
Oklahoma Department of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
http://genesis.odvte.state.ok.us/cimc/home.htm