Re: Since

Subject: Re: Since
From: Elsa Kapitan-White <kapitan-white -at- SUGAR-LAND -dot- OILFIELD -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 14:43:03 -0500

Lisa, again I agree with you about the use of "since" being a "concern
specific to our profession . . . Using a word that signifies either a time
or causal relationship is too ambiguous for me."

Both "since" for "because" and "which" for "that" are acceptible in
informal verbal communications (as opposed to presenting a written speech.
My favorite example for explaining this difference in my editing to authors
is the phrase "I loved her since she kissed me." Did love blossom at just
that moment?

Elsa Kapitan-White <kapitan-white -at- SUGAR-LAND -dot- OILFIELD -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Schlumberger Oilfield Marketing Services
225 Schlumberger Drive, Sugar Land, TX 77478
(713)275-7563, fax -8545