Document Size?

Subject: Document Size?
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 22:51:02 +0100

Hello Robert,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Robert Plamondon an All am 29.09.96

RP> From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>

RP> pixels, divided by 8 bits per byte, gives 15,360,000 bytes.

...upper limit three times the actual file size...

RP> This adds up to 3.4 MB, leaving 2.6 MB unaccounted for.

...lower limit half the real size. We nned not discuss about the rest, e.g.
there seems to remain lots of rubbish when you modify Winword files.

RP> I have not done a similar analysis on FrameMaker or Interleaf,

Interleaf might be even worse, especially when saving in ASCII format or IDU.
Recently a 6 MB IDU file imploded to some 800 kB before I sent it to my
customer via ISDN. The transfer lasted some 2 minutes...

RP> Your disk drive is probably horrendously undersized.

That was my first idea, too.

RP> The smallest size you should consider is 2 GB.

But not more, at least for IDE drives. If you want to go beyond that, you will
defenitely hit the borders of PC technology.

RP> Oh, and get a backup device that can back up the whole system
RP> in one
RP> pass, such as a 5 GB tape drive -- unless there is an existing
RP> backup
RP> system that actually works and is used frequently. Backing up

If you have lots of bitmaps and Winword files, file compression is *very*
effective. I am reluctant to offer online compression for the hard disk using
Stacker or any of these products. But compression will help with backup. You
might experience a much higher compression ratio than the normal marketing
hype of 2:1. Even a simple Tranvan 1 drive, which stores 400 MB physically,
might save more than 1 GB of those files.

Greetings from Germany.
Alexander

--
Alexander von Obert, Urbanstr. 2, 90480 Nuernberg, Germany
Free-lance Technical Writer (electronics, software)