Re: Book types most favored

Subject: Re: Book types most favored
From: "R. SITZE" <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 12:55:00 -0600

On Sun, 29 Sep 1996, Tim Altom wrote:

> In my case, I usually try to buy a simplified book first, one that's written
> friendly and folksy. That gets me off the ground, after which I usually feel
> the need for a book that has everything in it, just for reference.

I would have to say "It depends." If I am looking at a program that is
an upgrade on or is similar to something that I already know/use, then I
would look for the "Unleashed" type of book. If I am trying to learn
about something completely unfamiliar to me, I would probably take a few
minutes to browse through both the simplified and the more advanced texts
to determine which would best meet my needs at that time. Often I the
manuals that come with the software are sufficient as an introduction.
Occasionally, however, I find the simplified book really helpful.

RoMay Sitze
rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu
InSitze in Print
Technical Editing and Design