Re: Document size?

Subject: Re: Document size?
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 10:25:32 -0700

At 05:59 PM 9/27/96 +0600, you wrote:
>Ok...ok....this is getting completely ridiculous now. I have a 66 page
>document, containing about 50 bitmap graphics (screen shots, etc all
>fairly small.), all 256 colors or less. A table of contents and a
>small (1.5 pages) index. No tables. Only two fonts (Arial and
>Palatino). The file is nearly 6 megs! Do the Word gurus on this list

My sympathies. Here are two suggestions:

1. Break the document into several files, using RD fields to generated the
TOC and Index. This would mess up your x-refs, but with a 66-page doc, you
should be able to handle them manually.

2. Link to the graphics instead of embedding them in the document. Here are
the instructions (copied from Word help):

"To create a link to a graphics file without including the picture:

1. Position the insertion point where you want to insert the graphic in the
document.
2. From the Insert menu, choose Picture.
3. In the File Name box, type or select the name of the file you want.

If you do not see the file you want to import, select a different drive or
directory, or choose the Find File button to search for the file you want.

4. Select the Link To File check box, and then clear the Save Picture In
Document check box.
5. Choose the OK button.

If you see a field code instead of the graphic, clear the Field Codes check
box on the View tab in the Options dialog box (Tools menu).

Tip

You can increase the scrolling speed in a Word document that contains many
graphics by temporarily replacing the graphics with placeholders. Choose
Options from the Tools menu, select the View tab, and then select the
Picture Placeholders check box under Show.

Word now displays graphics as rectangular boxes, but it does print the
graphics. To have Word display the graphics again, clear the Picture
Placeholders check box."

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Regards...Kris
kjolberg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com (preferred)
kjolberg -at- aol -dot- com
kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com
102031 -dot- 3556 -at- compuserve -dot- com
s -dot- othoudt -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net