Re: Swivelling Monitors

Subject: Re: Swivelling Monitors
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 17:12:00 -0600

I need a new monitor and am trying to decide what to get. Has anyone
had an experience with the monitors that can be swiveled from
landscape to portrait orientation?

Yep, had an old Radius Color Pivot. It's dead now (a transformer, I think).
It was a pain to play games on (not all games could play on it when in Pivot
mode, it had something to do with the way the programmers used animations)
but it was quite useful. Radius tech support (and I use the term loosely)
was about as friendly as a nest full of rabid rattlesnakes, and they stopped
updating the driver for the old monitors as they made new ones, so you faced
the loss of your hardware investment before the monitor died. In fact,
that's what happened to me; I was frozen in landscape mode for a year or so
before the monitor died.

Mine was a 15"; I notice now they're available in larger sizes. That's good,
but I wonder if it's good enough?

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably go with a larger multi-sync
monitor. The extra cost didn't justify the fun of rotating the monitor, when
I could have matched the larger screen real estate (in each direction) with
a fixed position multi-sync monitor.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224