Contractors and product design

Subject: Contractors and product design
From: Catherine McNair <cmcnair -at- SPICER -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 09:41:00 -0400

As an "internal" technical writer at a software company, I get to have some
input on the user interface. Developers often run new dialog boxes and
features by me for comments, and they are open to suggestions I make for
improving them.

I was wondering--do contract writers typically get that sort of opportunity
as well? Or will your contract strictly state that your job is to document
the product, not to be involved in its design? Or does it vary quite a bit
with the organization?

Catherine McNair
<cmcnair -at- spicer -dot- com>
Technical Writer, Spicer Corporation
President, STC Southwestern Ontario
and
Two-cat owner, TV watcher, media junkie, chocolate lover, aerobics addict,
and 102.1 The Edge listener.