Re: Dilema (#162431)

Subject: Re: Dilema (#162431)
From: Bill Burns <wburns -at- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 09:29:23 MDT

26-SEP-1996 08:55:31.40
Sharona writes:

>Dear Used and Abused, you obviously work with toads. But you've got only
>two options:

>* Stay

>* Quit

>No, I'm not being facetious or taking your problem lightly. But you will
>have to weigh the options of continuing to work for folks who do such
>things to you versus pastures that may not be greener.

Breathe deeply and relax, Brad. Make sure you make your decision with a cool
head.

I think we could expand Sharona's options a bit. How about

* Stay and do not confront your bosses with the issue. You may have
to put up with additional manipulation if they know you'll brook it.

* Stay and confront your bosses with the issue, indicating that you do
not take the issue lightly and won't put up with such treatment again.
You may want to point out how much impact their actions had on your
project time lines and how much the wasted time alone cost the company.
Some managers may not take too kindly to this type of confrontation, but
I've found that the ones worth working for will at least respect your
integrity for standing up to them.

* Leave and do not indicate your reasons. I don't see this as a
beneficial move since neither side really gains from it (but then I'm
a contentious bastard and don't mind the heat ;-).

* Offer to resign and explain your reasons. This may put you in a good
bargaining position if your employers truly value your abilities. It
may also antagonize them if they see the move as a powerplay.

In my mind, the second option is preferrable to the others because it
demonstrates your willingness to support the company (if they're worth
supporting) while providing clear expectations for their treatment of you.

Good luck.

Bill Burns
Assembly Documentation Supervisor
wburns -at- micron -dot- com
This message brought to you by W.A.S.T.E.
and your local potsmaster.