Re: Use of periods in phone numbers

Subject: Re: Use of periods in phone numbers
From: "Wollt, Richard C RV" <rcw1 -at- PO9 -dot- RV -dot- UNISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 14:15:00 CDT

I'm afraid this discussion seems very insular. The 3,3,4 grouping is a U.S.
usage, Europe uses something like 2,2,2,3. With business need for clear
communication in the worldwide market, we must clearly identify these
numbers, not rely on some understood (maybe) convention to permit our
readers to use the information. For example, if Ian Holmes, somewhere in
Great Britain, picks up your document, do you expect him to also pull out
his local phone book to find out the code to access the United States? Or
might he see 7 digits and think its an unusual format fo a local call as it
doesn't include a country code?

For the newsletter, with limited distribution, its no big deal, but if it
goes international, remember the differences.