Re: choices..choices

Subject: Re: choices..choices
From: Chet Ensign <censign -at- INTERSERV -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 12:06:16 -0700

Tim Altom:

>> NS will eventually read VBScript, too, so
>> the compatibility will flow both ways.

I'm not so sure I'd count on that one. An astute observer recently pointed out
that MS had to support Java if it wanted to be taken seriously in the Web
world. But the opposite doesn't hold true. NS has to do everything in its
power to prevent MS from being able to blend its Web capabilities down into
the operating system. As long as NS doesn't do VB -- and IE does do Java --
people will have to pause and think about which systems they build their
system architecture on. If NS **does** do VB, then MS servers become much more
of a no-brainer -- especially if they come pre-installed on every desktop unit
sold in the USA.

Doesn't invalidate your basic point -- just that if I was making the choice
right now, I'd be learning Java.

/chet