Re: Obsession with University Degrees

Subject: Re: Obsession with University Degrees
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 07:42:48 -0700

At 08:33 AM 9/24/96 PDT, you wrote:
>Lori Lathrop writes:

>>How about making it the Big Four so we can include indexing skills?

>Because indexing is lumped with production skills (along with book design,
>layout, and typesetting) rather than with writing skills.

To whose "lumps" are you referring? In my "lumps," indexing is a writing
skill, not a production skill. I know the list has discussed this before,
but indexing requires more skill than just slicing headings or topic
sentences into individual words.

> Also, indexing
>is one of the items that tends to be well worth sending out to an expert,
>rather than doing in-house. I took an indexing class, and I know quite
>a bit about proper indexing -- I just can't STAND indexing!

I hear ya, Robert, but I prefer to write my own, tedious as they are. I
wrote the book, so I know the audience, the history, the business, and the
product. This makes me the best judge of the most appropriate first-level
entries, synonyms, and cross-references.

Often I leave the indexing for last for two reasons: (1) the book is
complete, so not only can I form a complete mental image and outline of the
index, I have a place to insert entries and (2) I'm not fond of the task,
either.

Regards...Kris
kjolberg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com (preferred)
kjolberg -at- aol -dot- com
kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com
102031 -dot- 3556 -at- compuserve -dot- com
s -dot- othoudt -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net