Re: Tech Writer Responsibilities

Subject: Re: Tech Writer Responsibilities
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 08:58:37 +0600

On 25 Sep 96, Phil Hellerman wrote:

> I am curious. Should technical writers, whose normal
> responsibilities are within an IS organization, take offense when
> asked to write or edit marketing type articles and brochures? Is it
> proper that writers say, "I'm a technical writer and only write user
> manuals! I can't write maketing material."

"Offense"? I think not. High-tech marketing communication is a form
of technical communication. Even STC has a MarCom PIC. You have many
skills that a lot of marketing people do not have, which makes a nice
little niche within marketing. Besides, you'll have something nice to
add to your portfolio for future use.

Should you accept this mission. . . . I highly recommend "Writing
High-Tech Marketing..." (can't remember the exact title) by Janice
King.

Jane Bergen
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer
janeb -at- answersoft -dot- com