Re: A bunch of comments

Subject: Re: A bunch of comments
From: Iain Harrison <iharrison -at- SCT -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 11:18:32 GMT

ROLLBACK.EXE:

> I mentioned on this list that a 'documentation bug' had allegedly led to

> hold on distribution of Windows NT4.

> I'm told that Microsoft managed to accidentally ship the software with a
> program called rollback.exe.

Funny, I just installed 4.0 and ROLLBACK.EXE is nowhere to be found.

Other people did get it. Maybe you were lucky

--------------------------------------
"The Telephone System":

That phrase is in no way any kind of an official title. Perhaps it is
in
the UK, but it isn't anywhere else that I know of. That is itself
enough
reason to *not* capitalize it.

We are in full agreement. The telephone system is what connects
telephones together, and is generic, not a trade name, and does not have
a proper name. It is the nearest analogy to the internet that I can
think of. Perhaps if the internet was sponsored?

The Microsoft Internet? That's have to be capitalised. Well, BG may like
that idea, but I'd prefer to keep it a generic, non-proprietary thing,
thanks.

-----------------------
Web vs. radio:

World Wide Web is a name of a specific thing, and the Web is an
abbreviated form of that name. As such, both should be capitalized.

Nope. Not so. One does not imply the other. You may be correct, but I'm
not at all happy with the reasons you suggest.

>proper noun = The official name of a particular person, place, or thing; for
>example, _Ellen,_ _San Diego,_ _Wednesday._ Proper nouns are capitalized.

I think you just made my point for me.

Well, someone may have, but it wasn't me. It is extremely
impolite to attribute words that someone did NOT write to
them, particularly if you are going to try to score points off
them for what they have written.