University Degrees

Subject: University Degrees
From: NANCY KAMINSKI <NKAMINS1 -at- FAIRVIEW -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 08:20:14 -0600

Sue Gallagher writes,
"I don't think I've ever been turned down for a job because of the degree
requirement."

I have! I did contract work for over a year for a large corporation--editing,
mainly, with satisfactory reviews--and when I applied for a permanent
opening the manager said "We'd love to have you but all our writers must
have journalism, tech writing or English degrees." I, unfortunately, had a
degree in Business Management with half of a Government Contract
Management MBA completed. I also had 4 years experience
editing/writing.

So at least in this corporation's short-sighted mind, experience, even
experience in their own house, counted for nothing at all.

Needless to say, I agree with Sue and Yvonne!

Nancy Kaminski
Fairview Hospital and Healthcare Systems