Re: Split infinitives and prepositions

Subject: Re: Split infinitives and prepositions
From: WRONECKI Frederic DG <frederic -dot- wronecki -at- FRANCETELECOM -dot- FR>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 11:35:42 +0200

Geoff Hart wrote :
> the further you separate two words that belong together, the greater
> the likelihood that the reader won't be able to easily
> reassociate the two words.

If you've been bred in a mother-tongue which permanently does so, I guess
you don't feel it so tough.
See the German language :
"The man to whom I gave the book which was on the table,..."
"Der Mann, dem ich das Buch, das am Tisch lag, gabe, ..."
(I'm just a beginner in German, other members could give us some much more
elaborate examples).
Frederic Wronecki
France Telecom, Paris, France
mailto : frederic -dot- wronecki -at- francetelecom -dot- fr