NT Documentation bug

Subject: NT Documentation bug
From: Iain Harrison <iharrison -at- SCT -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 12:16:13 GMT

I mentioned on this list that a 'documentation bug' had allegedly led to a
hold on distribution of Windows NT4.

I'm told that Microsoft managed to accidentally ship the software with a
program called rollback.exe.

This was not intended for shipment to users, and it is totally
undocumented: It is not mentioned in the manuals, the help system or the
readme. There is no command line help.

The curious might (understandably?) want to try it to see what it does.

They will regret their curiosity. Rollback.exe rolls back the installation
of NT4, losing all the settings you've put in, (and all the data on the
machine? I'm not sure). Don't try this at home, kiddies!

I suppose rollback.exe will go into the history books in the same category
as recover.com, another friendly-sounding little utility that will trash
your system!

It just goes to show that documenting programs not intended for release may
not be wasted effort, particularly if you do release them later.

Iain