Why not to credit writers

Subject: Why not to credit writers
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <mark -at- MEMCO -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 13:00:17 +0200

It may not have been fresh hearsay by the time it reached me, but
the scenario that I understand worried the lawyers had to do with
a writer who, after leaving the company, might not want his/her name
shown on the company's manuals. "People will think I'm still working for
the company. People will think I'm associated with the current edition
of the book, which has been revised since I left."

I would have expected the reverse situation to worry the lawyers
more: "I wrote 90% of that book five years ago, so why are you
giving another writer prominent billing in the current edition?"

As a manager of writers, I was worried about this one: "Why should
I take precious minutes away from the book I'll be credited on to
help out with a book somebody else will be credited on?" Not that
it ever happened; my team was a noble bunch...

- Mark L. Levinson - Memco Software - PO Box 58161 - 61581 Tel Aviv
- work: mark -at- memco -dot- co -dot- il / tel. 03-6487415 ext. 47 / fax 03-6487414
- home: nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il / tel. 09-552411 or 09-555720