Inappropriate language: followup

Subject: Inappropriate language: followup
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 12:45:19 -0500

I thought you all might be interested in one followup to
the thread I inadvertently started by using profanity in an
example: I've been virtually inundated (in this case, the
"virtually" works) with private responses. Indeed, I
stopped counting early this morning, after 50 messages, not
even including those posted to the list and that I've just
seen in the digests. The private responses have almost
exclusively supported _me_, but not my word choice.

Again, heartfelt thanks to all, even those who disagreed
with me and helped me learn something thereby. To me, our
little group is amazing for one thing above all else: the
willingness to spend considerable time helping others and
(no, I'm not being sarcastic) the associated level of
tolerance we generally show to each other. Even when we
disagree, our "attacks" target the sin, not the sinner.

Whether one falls into the "prude" or "profane" categories,
each name defined by members of the _other_ group, the
lesson remains: people are passionate about the words they
use and read, and it's a lesson we ignore at our peril.