Can we stop this now? WAS: Improper Language?

Subject: Can we stop this now? WAS: Improper Language?
From: "Elaine R. Firestone" <elaine -at- CALVAL -dot- GSFC -dot- NASA -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 10:53:00 -0500

Hey all, can we have a reality check here? I just got a digest where I
would say 75% of it was about this one issue. ENOUGH ALREADY!!! (Yeah I'm
shouting, I'm sick of this stuff.) I joined this list to learn more about
technical writing, not to argue about the merits or demerits of using one
particular word in the English language. I'm not going to add in my $0.02
about the _use_ of the word in question, that's been done ad nauseum on
both sides of the coin by others on this list. Why don't we focus on the
_REST_ of what Geoff said in the post, which was right on target and
downright funny when you think about it. I don't know about the rest of
you, but I LOL when I read it, so it certainly made the point it set out to
do in the first place.

I will say that I've known Geoff (via cyberspace) for almost 2 years now
from another list and his posts are always on target, sometimes funny,
sometimes thought-provoking, and often pithy, but _never_ intentionally
offensive.

(So, ah, what do y'all think of using the pluperfect subjunctive tense? <g> )

Off of rant mode.

Elaine

Elaine R. Firestone
elaine -at- calval -dot- gsfc -dot- nasa -dot- gov
elaine -at- seawifs -dot- gsfc -dot- nasa -dot- gov