Ending a sentence with a preposition

Subject: Ending a sentence with a preposition
From: WRONECKI Frederic DG <frederic -dot- wronecki -at- FRANCETELECOM -dot- FR>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 11:24:18 +0200

Moshe Koenig wrote :

>> After I spilled my guts out telling everyone about the project I walked
>> out on (oh no, it's got me in such a state that I end with a
preposition!),

I cut the snip here to ask a question to my fellow English-speaking writers

I've seen many allusions to the "no preposition rule" in some general
newsgroups, with a quotation from Winston Churchill (quoting from memory
"this is the kind of arrant pedantry I'll never put up with").
Can someone explain the rule, the meaning of the quotation, and give some
examples or what's correct and what's wrong ?
Please reply by private E-mail, this topic is of no interest for 99 % of
Thanks.

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-