Re: Terms question: capitalize or not?

Subject: Re: Terms question: capitalize or not?
From: Eric Haddock <eric -at- ENGAGENET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 11:36:47 -0500

>the Web or the web

I would vote for lowercase. You wouldn't write: "I got the information on
the Telephone" for example. There's no need to capitalize it--it's not a
proper noun. Things like billboard, message board, chalk board, newspaper,
television are all tools for information display/retrieval and they're not
capitalized.

>Browser or browser

Lowercase--absolutely. You wouldn't write: "I used a Hammer."

>WWW or www

I would say this is a moot question because I would use "web" instead of
"WWW" or "www." "Web" is a much better way of referring to the world wide
web (which I wouldn't capitalize). Using "WWW" is clumsy whereas "web" is
easy to read and "world wide web" takes longer than it should.

"Access the web."
"I saw it on the world wide web."
"You can get a lot of information on the WWW."

The first one is best, I think.

>Web site or web site

Both words should be lower case.

-- Eric (^_^)

/`-_ Eric Haddock ------ http://www2.corenet.net/moonlion
{ }/ Technical writer
\ | Engage Networks, Inc. ----- http://www.engagenet.com
\__*| Milwaukee, WI

"Writing is easy. All you have to do is cross out the wrong words."
-- Mark Twain

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-