Re: Widow "rules"

Subject: Re: Widow "rules"
From: Brad Connatser <cwrites -at- USIT -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 10:40:30 GMT

In article <32384B9B -dot- 1DD9 -at- execpc -dot- com>, eenie -at- execpc -dot- com wrote:

> I am editing a techincal document (a user's guide) and have found a
> noble but unsuccessful attempt by the writer to avoid all widows
> (short lines, often just one word, at the end of a paragraph).
snip
> Does anyone know of, and adhere to, this rule, or am I crazy, spouting
> off these pretend rules?

Joan Nagle wrote an excellent analysis of widows and orphans:

"Of Widows and Orphans." IEEE Professional Communication Society
Newsletter, Volume 39, Number 4, pp. 4-5.

Adding to Joan's list of definitions, the OED says:

Widow: A short line at the end of a paragraph, esp. one which is set at
the top of a page or column, or which contains only (part of) one word,
and is therefore considered unsightly." First use noted: 1904 in
Manuscript Rules of Compositors..."Care should also be exercised to
overcome 'widdies' at the top of pages."

The OED has no typographic definition of "orphan."

Brad

--
Brad Connatser
Concurrent Communications

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-