Info Mapping/Editing Comments/Good School

Subject: Info Mapping/Editing Comments/Good School
From: Sabahat Ashraf <sabahat -at- OPENIX -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 14:11:50 -0400

I am going to address all three of the above -- or, Amy, I am going to
plug RPI.

At RPI, several of our faculty drummed into us concepts of what I think
can best be called Information Design -- it included the "chunking" of
information; layering it for easy navigation; and providing other aids.
The Miller Number [7+/-2] was also mentioned a lot. And then there was
Gestalt ...

Also, almost *all* of our teachers gave us practice in how to give
comments to our peers by having us discuss each other's work, edit it,
and give suggestions -- some even jumped in as part of the group and had
their work in there with us. And, yes, there were engineers in our
classes. Besides, the touchiest people are other writers, no?

The statement being that, as Amy was saying, RPI is pretty good.
[Gratuitous plug.] And the question being: isn't this kind of thing part
of the work towards a degree at other schools? [Sober inquiry -- or is
it enquiry "this side of the pond"?]

Sabahat.
--
sabahat -at- openix -dot- com - ashrafs -at- rpi -dot- edu
735 Elm Ave Apt 5B Teaneck NJ 07666-2313