Re: Respect or no?

Subject: Re: Respect or no?
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 12:18:56 -0500

Cheryl Kidder wrote:

> However, it is no excuse for treating folks who have different credentials
> as some type of lower organism. What I don't enjoy is being patronized or
> talked down to simply because I do not have programming expertise.

> In the grand scheme of things, should knowing how to write code be equated
> with solving world hunger? or curing cancer? Sometimes I just think
> programmers need to get a little perspective.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying what I described is right,
nor am I defending it. I'm just saying that it's my perception of
reality. I've seen it in the programmers I worked with (even when I was
a programmer) and even in instructors. I accept it as reality so that I
might work to deal with it and even try to change that perception.

It galls me to no end when I'm spoken down to because people think I'm a
moron because I'm not a programmer or engineer. (My status as a moron
would be secure regardless of what I did for a living. :->) But that's
part of the game. I can change it, but if I recognize it in its blunt
terms and dealwith it, I can work more effective and I save a lot of
money on Rolaids.

Chris
--
Chris Hamilton, Technical Writer