One (1) question about odd number notation

Subject: One (1) question about odd number notation
From: "James M. Lockard" <norton -at- MCS -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 23:11:21 +0100

Hello all,

I recently started a new project in which I'm supposed to create an online
version of an employee handbook. One of the issues I'm dealing with is this
odd sort of number notation I've seen in legal documents where, after each
number is written out, the numeral appears in parentheses.

For example, the handbook reads something like, "Full-time, regular
employees are granted three (3) personal days each year."

What's up with that? I cannot think of any solid reason for that technique.
Is there any reason I _should_ keep that system?

TIA,
James Lockard
norton -at- mcs -dot- net