Re: Let us test

Subject: Re: Let us test
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 11:58:14 PDT

Beating this horse to death:
Sorry -- should have specified grocery store in the first
line and indicated that if there isn't a produce department,
the reader should find a store with a produce section.

That quibble aside, Wolf explained that it was a test for
a technical writer, therefore he should have specified
no pictures.

In a test for a technical COMMUNICATOR, the applicant
should be able to apply the tools to the need. I was completely
stumped as far as what I would write to differentiate
between lettuce and cabbage, but it isn't an application
in which you should describe the difference -- you must
just show the difference. (Actually the ideal situation
would be to give the applicant a sample of a head of
lettuce and tell the applicant to buy another
just like it. ;-)

Granting freely that many companies don't have the
budget to print in color, the graphical/photographic
solution to a communication problem is often overlooked.
I know I couldn't effectively write about the differences
between cabbage and head lettuce
in under three pages, but it isn't a problem to be
solved by writing.

I wonder how often we respond to an illustration
problem with pages of words, simply because words
are the communication tool we're accustomed to
applying.

Eric

Eric J. Ray ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com