Re: Help with FM Math Chars (Solved)

Subject: Re: Help with FM Math Chars (Solved)
From: Gregory Turnbull <Gregory -dot- Turnbull -at- UBS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 17:30:07 +0200

Hi, thanks to David Somers for reminding me about FrameMath & Ref.
Pages; I had seen these in the on-line Help, but didn't really
understand them at first and so ignored them. However, I now find that
this is exactly the way to add 'special' characters in a FM equation.

The basic steps are:

1. Go to the Reference Page(s), & create a new page called FrameMath.
2. Use the Graphics palette to insert a Frame; enter the name
"FrameMath" in the dialog box that appears.
3. Use the text symbol to create the character you want inside the
frame, then adjust the size of the frame around it.
4. Select the frame then, from the Equation palette, enter the command
"Add Definition to Catalog".
5. Another dialog box appears; I chose 'atom' as the type of math
element, as it was only a single character, but refer to the
context-sensitive help for details of the available types.
within your equation.
7. From the Equation palette, enter the command "Insert Math Element"
and select your new definition. The special character will be
inserted at the current cursor position.

That's a lot of work just to get a simple underscore into an equation,
but it seems to work. Sorry if this is not strictly technical
communications, but a lot of writers use FM, so it might help someone
else.

Thanks for the replies, Greg Turnbull, UBS Zurich, Switzerland.