Re: Unrecoverable Data Icon

Subject: Re: Unrecoverable Data Icon
From: Cheryl Kidder <chekid -at- SYMIX -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 13:19:00 EDT

Kent:

Thanks for the suggestion. Our software does this now. It has never been
an option in the applications I work with, to recover and reuse data once it
has been "deleted."

I think that the designers are trying to work around potential user's
ability to differentiate between typical Microsoft behavior for a delete
icon and what the delete icon will do in our applications. I don't
anticipate much confusion with this myself but the designers were concerned
about designing an icon that at least indicated some difference right up
front (i.e. in the visual representation) so users had an "affordance" that
our delete is different from a Mac or Win95 delete.

Thanks,
Cheryl D. Kidder

----------
From: Kent Newton
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Date: Wednesday, September 04, 1996 10:36AM

In regards to the unrecoverability of items deleted in Cheryl Kidder's
application, Peter Gold replied:

><snipped>
>Perhaps this is an indication that the product needs an enhancement -
>permanent deletion, or marking for deletion with a second step for
>permanent?
<snipped>

At the very least, pressing the "delete" icon should spawn a warning
that this action is irreversible and ask the user to confirm.

Kent