Re[6]: Project X-long relpy, and more questions

Subject: Re[6]: Project X-long relpy, and more questions
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 09:05:00 -0600

To my :
Have you ever tried to use one with the graphics turned off? No
ALT text makes them unusable.

Arlen replied:
That's not a problem with imagemaps, that's a problem with the designer.

I've never seen an imagemap with ALT text.

Iain, Go back and reread what I posted, and this time think about it. I
said "anything that requires graphics must also have a text possibility."
Therefore, if you present an imagemap, also present a textual navigation
bar. If an imagemap is the only available navigation tool, then it's a poor
design. Period. The fault is the designer's, not the imagemap's. It's a
poor craftsman who blames his tools.

Some people prefer to use imagemaps, and get irritated at long lists of
text. It's the way people are. Some want graphics. Some want text. The only
way to satisfy both camps is to include both. Those who don't want the
graphics will have graphics turned off, so they won't waste time loading
the imagemap. Those who like graphics won't have to wait much longer for a
few extra text-based links to load.

To suggest simply because some customers don't want something that it never
be made available for anyone is a quick way for a business to go under. Web
sites are no different.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224