Re: Begins a list of schools

Subject: Re: Begins a list of schools
From: Susan Gallagher <susan -at- LIVINGSTON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 16:51:26 -0700

I attended Carnegie Mellon's tech writing program. Obviously my opinion is
slanted, but for what it's worth, I thought it was excellent.

The program was making a lot of (positive) changes when I left. David
Kaufer, who runs the program, is very in tune with the needs of the
students and the need to provide them with "real world" situations. The
curriculum is tightly coupled with CMU's engineering department -- there
are a number of opportunities for tech writers to attend engineering
project classes and provide the documentation for sw/hw projects (for real
clients). The software engineering department was particularly interested
in tech writing developments when I was there -- one of the professors
encouraged hypertext documentation, multimedia presentations, and was
dabbling in the idea of literate computing. (I believe his fantasy was to
make tech writers obsolete through technology, but he enabled students to
work on innovative projects while moving toward this goal.)

There's an MAPW program available for professional writers -- this can also
lead to an education in tech writing, depending on how you massage your
curriculum.

>The following list is not conclusive.

<snip>

--
Susan Gallagher Technical Publications
susan -at- livingston -dot- com Livingston Enterprises Inc.