Postscript compatibility questions

Subject: Postscript compatibility questions
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 12:01:34 -0500

We just moved our offices from one location to another and got to
upgrade from an old, ratty Compaq printer to an HP 5. We can't run the
HP printer driver because we're running Windows NT. Our network guru
says they're incompatible.

When we switched printers, the scroll bars in some of the screen shots
changed. They used to have this funky checkerboard pattern. Now some of
them are a very light gray, as they appear on the screen; some are a
shade darker; some have funkydiamond-shaped patterns of gray and white;
some have no scroll bars at all. All the screen shots were taken using
the old-fashioned method (ALT-Printscreen and Paintbrush to a bitmapped
file). All this is presented using Frame.

Now for the interesting part:

1. If I save the file in a format that works with the Compaq, then
create a postscript file and print it on the Compaq, I get the original
checkboard pattern.

2. If I save the file in the Compaq format, then create a postscript
file and print it on the HP5, I get really poor resolution on all parts
of all screen shots.

3. If I save the file in the HP format, then create a postscript file
and print it on the HP5, I get all the wierd stuff I listed above.

I thought postscript was generic. And anyway, if all the screenshots
are created the same way, then why are some of the messed upwhile others
aren't. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is there any wisdom
you can give me about fixing this?

Thanks for any feedback.

Chris

--