Mac PageMaker - PDF "printer errors"

Subject: Mac PageMaker - PDF "printer errors"
From: Eric Brown <eric_brown -at- SFU -dot- CA>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 11:07:57 -0800

Anyone have the answer to this PageMaker/PDF problem? It may be a simple
matter of not enough RAM, but I'd like some advice if possible. Many hours
have been wasted on this:

I'm using Mac PageMaker 6 and the included "Create PDF" utility that works
with Distiller PE (the PageMaker-only version of Distiller that comes with
Pagemaker).

I'm trying to create a PDF of a 50-page book with five chapters. Most
chapters are 300-500K in file size; one chapter is 1.4 meg. The chapters
are linked in a 'book', both from the TOC file and from the Index file.

When I try to create a single PDF of the linked book (with TOC and Index
hyperlinks) the program halts in the middle of generating Postscript, with
a message something like "A printing error occurred".

I've made PDFs of every file individually with no problem. I've made linked
'book' PDFs of various combinations of chapters with no problem. However I
can't manage to do the entire book.

Any suggestions? The computer's a PowerBook 165 with 14 MB of RAM and over
65 MB of free disk space. I've stripped out every questionable extension
and devoted 10.5 MB to PageMaker.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Eric Brown
eric_brown -at- sfu -dot- ca