Re: Toolbars

Subject: Re: Toolbars
From: DAVID IBBETSON <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 09:06:03 -0400

Sue Gallagher writes:
>Perhaps. Or maybe they know and just don't care. The user isn't
>there to play with the computer, but to get a job done. If the
>toolbar button accomplishes the result *and* does so faster and
>easier than the menu option, that's the way many users will choose
>to go. The objective after all, is to drive the nail into the wall,
>not to choose the most pleasant color for the hammer. ;-)

The user needs to know that a hammer is available. Otherwise (s)he will do
the best (s)he can with a wrench. The user may also need to know that a
range of different kinds of hammers and mallets are available. Having
examined the range it is reasonable for the user to be able to set a
preference for the sledge-hammer, if that is what (s)he usually needs. The
availability of the sledge hammer. the tack-hammer, the geologist's hammer,
etc. etc. is, in my view, too important to be hidden.

As a case in point the ability to save files otherwise than in the native
mode of a word-processor is IMHO usually too well hidden.

David (the idiot) Ibbetson

David Ibbetson ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com
133 Wilton St, #506, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5A 4A4
Phone (416) 363-6692 Fax (416) 363-4987

There was never any thing by the wit of man so well devised, or so sure
established, which in continuance of time hath not been corrupted. -- Book
of Common Prayer, Preface