Re: Information Mapping

Subject: Re: Information Mapping
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 21:27:02 GMT

One item ya'll should bear in mind regarding the use of information
mapping; it does not convert very well to content-based tagging schemes,
like SGML, since all of the information is, essentially, text in tables.

I'm familiar with the concepts of info mapping, and it never really
stoked my fire. Many of the chunking principles underlying it are quite
valid, however, and the concept of labelling different kinds of
information as such are useful even outside of the IM framework.

But if you ever decide to electronically convert a legacy of IM material
into a more flexible, non-presentation-driven format, you will be up
the ol' river, hosed, and majorly goobed. This isn't an argument not to
use information mapping, just something which may be helpful for you to
remember.

Later on.
--
Len Olszewski My opinions; you go get your own.
saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com